Meology

My photo
Springfield, Twenty miles from the District of Columbia
FABRICADABRA is my Sewing Blog, with other bits of interest sprinkled in for fun. I love fabric and creating things from it. FOLLOWING MRS. SUNDBERG is learning what it means to make something for the joy of making it. She's a down-home, comfort-focused, smack dab in the heartland kind of woman, who has a gift for writing, cooking, and generally pointing out the small wonders of every day. THE RUBY THROAT DIARIES documents my passion for these little birds. ©Please respect that everything shared here, including my photos holds personal value and is copyright protected by me, the photographer and writer. Any links to other sites assigns the copyright to their owners, and in sharing them here, I claim no ownership of the content. Please contact me if you would like to use my original work. Otherwise, it's a copyright violation. All use of any of my content must be credited back to me, with a link to my page.

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Internal Overhaul

This is the box of chocolates my nurse put in my bag because my surgery was backed up from its original time. I would have preferred about 60% cacao, but that day, I was just glad to get home.
Boy have I been away. Seems when my sweetheart got home, my gallbladder decided to attack me. And it continued on until December 19 when I finally gave up and went to the ER. I had an ultrasound and they found stones...no kidding, really?...but sent me home because my bloodwork didn't show an infection...lucky me. I was told to see my regular Dr., with whom I already had an appointment on the 28th, and she referred me to a surgeon.
New Year's around the corner, I think to myself, I'll tough it out until after the first of the year, and then go. So we are in Massaponax, VA on Jan 4th, and surprisingly, I feel pretty good that day. Then the sweetheart starts having a headache, along with some chest pressure that he neglected to tell me about. With the cardiologist's urging, we go to the ER for a CT scan to rule out another stroke. That was okay, but his EKG was showing an abnormal rhythm. Guess who was admitted to the hospital? Chemical stress test on the 6th, heart cath on the 7th, and finally a quadruple bypass on the 10th. Meanwhile my gallbladder decided to start up again. But with a husband who was discharged on the 14th, minus his driving privileges, but plus 54 staples and a newly wired shut sternum, my gallbladder was given a stern talking to by me to knock it off.
I have never felt so bad for so long in my life. On February 14th, the sweetheart was given back his driving privileges, I had my surgery consult on the 16th, and laparoscopic gallbladder surgery on the 22nd. It will be 5 weeks since my surgery in two days, and I am still sore at times and learning how to help my body live without something I had every intention of taking with me when I left this world. Not to be. I couldn't even keep the stones. They now have to send them to the lab to see what they are. Wait, wait, I know, I know...they are gallstones!! It took me 55 years to make them and I wanted to at least see what they looked like. Anything after 50 years is an antique, so me AND my gallstones both qualify.

No comments: