Meology

My photo
Springfield, Twenty miles from the District of Columbia
FABRICADABRA is my Sewing Blog, with other bits of interest sprinkled in for fun. I love fabric and creating things from it. FOLLOWING MRS. SUNDBERG is learning what it means to make something for the joy of making it. She's a down-home, comfort-focused, smack dab in the heartland kind of woman, who has a gift for writing, cooking, and generally pointing out the small wonders of every day. THE RUBY THROAT DIARIES documents my passion for these little birds. ©Please respect that everything shared here, including my photos holds personal value and is copyright protected by me, the photographer and writer. Any links to other sites assigns the copyright to their owners, and in sharing them here, I claim no ownership of the content. Please contact me if you would like to use my original work. Otherwise, it's a copyright violation. All use of any of my content must be credited back to me, with a link to my page.

Monday, March 28, 2011

All Tied Up



credit to Bali Pop, their original
design, shown here for inspiration.
On to my fabric projects, which gave me the idea for the blog name. I like being able to sew. I have a lust for fabric that makes me want to have it just to look at.
But finally, I decided to follow one of my facebook friend's plan of 'something a week'. I promised myself that I would sew every day, and hopefully have a project completed, or nearly so, each week. I have way too many ideas, plans and schemes in my head that don't seem to come to fruition. So by challenging myself, I become accountable for using my time wisely and finishing what I start.
This is from a Bali Pop by Hoffman collection of fabrics, called Strawberry Fields, that is 40 different 2.5" strips. They are sewn end to end, folded and wrapped around cotton clothesline, and then coiled and stitched together to create things. Baskets, totes, containers and the like. I decided that if I could get the clothesline covered, (easier than it looks), I would make a tote like in the photo. I don't know what kind of multi-armed seamstress invented this method of wrapping and stitching fabric covered clothesline, but she must be like Shiva to be able to keep everything lined up by the time it gets under the presser foot to the needle. I'll let you know if I manage to keep my fingers from becoming part of the tote.
PHOTOS ©pegyates/2011, except the completed tote photo.



No comments: