Meology

My photo
Springfield, Twenty miles from the District of Columbia
FABRICADABRA is my Sewing Blog, with other bits of interest sprinkled in for fun. I love fabric and creating things from it. FOLLOWING MRS. SUNDBERG is learning what it means to make something for the joy of making it. She's a down-home, comfort-focused, smack dab in the heartland kind of woman, who has a gift for writing, cooking, and generally pointing out the small wonders of every day. THE RUBY THROAT DIARIES documents my passion for these little birds. ©Please respect that everything shared here, including my photos holds personal value and is copyright protected by me, the photographer and writer. Any links to other sites assigns the copyright to their owners, and in sharing them here, I claim no ownership of the content. Please contact me if you would like to use my original work. Otherwise, it's a copyright violation. All use of any of my content must be credited back to me, with a link to my page.

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Vintage Goldmine

Well, I hit the mother lode of vintage fabric last weekend, and the second of four parcels arrived today. This first photo is just a VERY small sample of one auction that I won. The woman who did this work had to be an amazing person. She had so many projects started, and had taken the time to keep the groups together, many of them in zip bags. There are literally thousands of blocks, groups, pieces and parts. I am amazed at the variety of pieces in this collection.

This sewer liked what I like. I was humbled to open the box and start looking through what was there. Some of the pins were still holding pieces together, waiting to be stitched. One piece still had the needle and thread in it, where she left it. I have no idea who she was, or her name, or where she lived. But I feel like I know about her. I know the stitches on these pieces now, some by hand, some by machine. She was knowledgeable, the point and seam matching was quite nice. Some of zip bags contained cut pieces that are about an inch square, and the template is there as well, with the lead marks on it where the pencil slipped as she traced it over and over. Wow. I think I am meant to carry on where she left off, and I plan on working everything I can into clothing, green bags, and gifts for friends. Some of the bigger pieces will be quilted and bound for wall art. I have to honor what she began.

 This is the second batch, over 400 1" squares, 5 bags, sorted by color. Again, this person was busy. Some of them had been stitched together, and taken back apart. Lots of feed sack prints, amazing, vintage fabric goodness that is going to find its purpose in the now.

It's funny how this stuff is still out there. Fabric is fragile; an organic thing that doesn't last forever. Some quilts seem to have stood the test of time, others look as though the dog's had them under the porch. I have seen both, and when I came across these groups, I felt like I could save them. I could make things that would give them life, and hopefully, they will be around for a long time. The Mr. is on work travel for a month, so I have time to sew, along with painting ceilings and walls. It's going to be a good, productive 30 days. :-)

1 comment:

Heather said...

Wow, what an amazing haul! I'm glad it made its way to you, the right person to bring it to life.