Meology

My photo
Springfield, Twenty miles from the District of Columbia
FABRICADABRA is my Sewing Blog, with other bits of interest sprinkled in for fun. I love fabric and creating things from it. FOLLOWING MRS. SUNDBERG is learning what it means to make something for the joy of making it. She's a down-home, comfort-focused, smack dab in the heartland kind of woman, who has a gift for writing, cooking, and generally pointing out the small wonders of every day. THE RUBY THROAT DIARIES documents my passion for these little birds. ©Please respect that everything shared here, including my photos holds personal value and is copyright protected by me, the photographer and writer. Any links to other sites assigns the copyright to their owners, and in sharing them here, I claim no ownership of the content. Please contact me if you would like to use my original work. Otherwise, it's a copyright violation. All use of any of my content must be credited back to me, with a link to my page.

Sunday, July 8, 2012

And The Stitch Goes On

It has been a delicious relief to have the humidity drop ahead of a thunderstorm. One that didn't quite make it to us, unfortunately, but it is bearable outside now. I was really hoping for a drenching rain to water the grass, flowers and shrubs, and generally wash away the grime that has accumulated on everything since the last rain we had. But I'll take the cooler temps even without the rain.

I Love You To The Moon And Back detail.
I decided to free motion stitch the letters down before I layer and quilt this piece. I figured that if I did that now, and stitched the blue background after I sandwich it all together, they will pop a little more. The edges of the letters are meant to fray a little after washing to give it a used and loved look, but with all the stitches, they won't be going anywhere.

This quilt was one out of my imagination. I did google the name of it, with 'baby quilt', and got some hits, but nothing like this at all. I get myself into these situations of sewing but mostly they turn out okay. I do fine, unless I am sewing for someone with a deadline attached. For some reason, that takes all the fun out of it for me. 

After and before cushion covers.
My step daughter asked me to make new covers for her cushions. It was something I had never tried before, but how could I say no? Old on the right, new on the left. I even picked out the 12 zippers and reused them in the new covers. They were in great shape, and it seemed a shame to toss them, aside from the fact that new ones weren't nearly as well made, but yet, they were still expensive. It would have cost about $60 for upholstery-grade new ones.

The plaids match on these cushions, even to the gussets on the sides of the back cushions. Thanks for forcing me to understand the finer points of that, Grandma. I learned to sew from her when I was in the 5th grade. I stayed over night with her on a Friday, and Saturday morning we got up and make a jumper for me, in an uneven plaid, and it matched, everywhere. She made it impossible for me to buy plaid off the rack, because it never matches. So, 6 back cushions, 6 seat cushions, and 12 zippers later, my machine was all ready to go/sew after 4 months of sitting in the box from our move. I LOVE my Babylock.

More photos will be added as this quilt goes together. In between stitching the letters, I have rotary cut strips for a miniature wall quilt. I have missed sewing time, and am fortunate to have the equipment and supplies to sew as much as I want...so get busy, Peg.
PHOTOS©pegyates/2012

1 comment:

Heather said...

You did a great job on those cushions! Such a nice update.