Meology

My photo
Springfield, Twenty miles from the District of Columbia
FABRICADABRA is my Sewing Blog, with other bits of interest sprinkled in for fun. I love fabric and creating things from it. FOLLOWING MRS. SUNDBERG is learning what it means to make something for the joy of making it. She's a down-home, comfort-focused, smack dab in the heartland kind of woman, who has a gift for writing, cooking, and generally pointing out the small wonders of every day. THE RUBY THROAT DIARIES documents my passion for these little birds. ©Please respect that everything shared here, including my photos holds personal value and is copyright protected by me, the photographer and writer. Any links to other sites assigns the copyright to their owners, and in sharing them here, I claim no ownership of the content. Please contact me if you would like to use my original work. Otherwise, it's a copyright violation. All use of any of my content must be credited back to me, with a link to my page.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Moon Quilt Top

Sometimes my camera distorts the image, like this one where the edges don't look square. It is square, though. Rotary cut, 1/4" guide on the presser foot makes this as square as humanly possible, but it still looks crooked. Oh well, even if it weren't, after Lyric gets ahold of it, hopefully it will be loved, dragged around and broken in properly!

I usually opt for brighter colors over pastels, and this is a good example of those choices. My Mr. went with me when I needed to get a few more blues to plump up my selection. He found the one that has the yellow and orange in it, and I'm glad he did. It shows up because of the yellow/orange in the center panel. I like a mix of prints, and these are all batiks, my favorite fabric. Sometimes it's difficult to tell the right from the wrong side on them, but I love the feel of the it. It has a smooth, tight weave, and I was surprised to notice the differences in un-batik printed fabrics after having sewn with batiks for a while. There's a noticeable difference in the quality most of the time. I think this will wear well. I have a feeling it will be going through the wash more than a few times.

The quilting plan is free-motion in the center panel, and diagonal straight line in the squares. My Babylock machine is great, and makes it easy to accomplish all these things with ease.

I have to put it aside until Monday, but I hope to have it finished by the end of next week, and in the mail to Lyric's mom and dad in Ohio, where they're eagerly awaiting his arrival.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Don't worry, it only looks crooked because your camera isn't parallel to the surface. And it is BEAUTIFUL! Lucky Lyric, blessed to have such care and attention paid, even before he arrives.