Meology

My photo
Springfield, Twenty miles from the District of Columbia
FABRICADABRA is my Sewing Blog, with other bits of interest sprinkled in for fun. I love fabric and creating things from it. FOLLOWING MRS. SUNDBERG is learning what it means to make something for the joy of making it. She's a down-home, comfort-focused, smack dab in the heartland kind of woman, who has a gift for writing, cooking, and generally pointing out the small wonders of every day. THE RUBY THROAT DIARIES documents my passion for these little birds. ©Please respect that everything shared here, including my photos holds personal value and is copyright protected by me, the photographer and writer. Any links to other sites assigns the copyright to their owners, and in sharing them here, I claim no ownership of the content. Please contact me if you would like to use my original work. Otherwise, it's a copyright violation. All use of any of my content must be credited back to me, with a link to my page.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Second Project


For some reason, I seem to find it necessary to work on more than one project at a time. I think by the time I get to the part of stitching the current one together, my mind is already looking for the next one to begin. These fabrics were in a jelly roll from Moda®. Forty 2 1/2" strips, arranged by color in such a way, that I didn't want to disturb them. But that only lasted for a while. My rotary cutter and mat are wonderful tools, because they feed my need for instantaneous gratification. If I had to measure each strip and cut it with scissors, this post would not be taking place. Plus my machine has a foot with a 1/4" guide on it, so even with my impatience, it's nearly impossible to stitch inconsistent seams.

The one thing that bothered me was that these strips were cut with pinkers, and that sawtoothed edge was biting into the quarter inch seam allowance. After it's all done, it won't matter, I guess, but it makes the cut edge a little more unstable as I sew the seams.

Last photo is my beginning attempt to lay them out in a color wheel sort of fashion. I already see some things that have to be changed. Funny that I didn't see it when I was looking at it, but when I saw the photo, I noticed it right away. And I may have to use some other fabrics, because this group had several pastels, and I am going for brights in this one. Well, I am as soon as I finish that baby quilt.
PHOTOS©pegyates/2012


No comments: